Lemon Chicken Piccata – a simple yet super impressive chicken piccata in a tasty lemon, butter and capers sauce. Perfect with pasta for a quick and delicious dinner.
This could be that romantic dish for that special occasion. For that special someone. I truly believe that a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, and if you don’t believe me, I dare you to try it, and cook him a meal like this. All I can tell you is that my man sure enjoyed it. But hey, this dish isn’t only for men, all men out there can make this dish for their special someone.
Although I believe this chicken piccata is an impressive dish, it’s so simple to make. It’s amazing sometimes how you can turn a few simple ingredients into a fabulous and totally delicious dish.
The chicken breasts are skinless and boneless, and thinly sliced lengthwise or butterflied. They are generously seasoned with salt and pepper then dredged through flour. The chicken is than pan fried to a golden perfection on both sides in butter and olive oil.
The chicken is then removed from the skillet, and the lemon juice, white wine and capers are added, at the same time scraping all those delicious brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. That’s where all the flavor is, so you want to make sure you scrape real well. I chose to use a dry white wine here, but chicken broth would work just as well.
You then add the chicken back to the skillet and simmer the chicken in the sauce for another 5 minutes, after which you remove the chicken to a platter. The sauce is then thickened with a bit more butter and cooked for a couple more minutes until it just thickens a bit. At this point you can pour this delicious sauce over the chicken, or as I did mine, put the chicken back in the skillet, and garnished with lots of parsley.
- 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- salt and pepper to taste
- all purpose flour, for dredging
- 4 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup chicken stock or dry white wine, I used wine
- ¼ cup brined capers
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.
- In a large skillet melt 2 tbsp of butter with the olive oil, over medium to high heat.
- Add chicken pieces to the skillet and cook for about 3 to 4 min per side until browned. When chicken is cooked, remove chicken from skillet.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add lemon juice, chicken stock or wine, capers and scrape up the brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Return skillet to heat and bring to a boil. Taste the sauce and season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Add chicken back to skillet and simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove chicken to a platter and add remaining butter and whisk for about a minute. Sauce will thicken a bit.
- You can return chicken to skillet and garnish with parsley. Alternatively you can pour the sauce over the chicken and garnish with parsley.