This caprese sandwich recipe is the classic combination of tomatoes, mozarella and basil with the welcome addition of avocado slices, all sandwiched together between slices of buttery toasted bread.
This grilled caprese sandwich is the perfect quick and easy dinner or lunch option.
- 4 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread
- 4 ounces of thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves
- ½ of an avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large pan melt the butter over medium heat.
- Place 2 slices of bread in the pan and top with the mozzarella and tomatoes. Place the other 2 slices of bread on top.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted. Watch carefully to make sure that the bread does not get overly browned; if the bread is browned but the cheese still needs time to melt, lower the heat level.
- Lift the top slices of bread off the sandwiches and layer the basil and avocado on top of the tomatoes. Place the bread slices back on top and serve immediately.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 15 mins